Thursday, June 16, 2016

There Is Still No Road Map

I've said before that I'm a planner and an organizer.  I like to know what's next.  I like to put things down on paper to make it official.  Cancer treatment, like a defiant toddler, refuses to follow any plan or schedule.

I met with my surgeon today.  I have completed 12 rounds of chemo and had a PET scan this week.  I was hoping to find out a plan for surgery today.  Mother and I had our calendars out ready to mark everything down and make a plan.  Evidently the plan of attack is so complex it will require a room full of oncologists and oncological surgeons to sort it out.

The good news is that the chemotherapy has been very effective at shrinking the masses. All have been considerably reduced in size.  Everything is still operable as it was in December only now it's smaller.  The complicating factor is the spots on my lungs. In December, after my first PET scan, we found out that there were spots on my lungs.  My oncologist was not concerned about them at the time because they were small and showed low activity.  He wasn't even sure they were cancer.  My recent PET scan showed that they have shrunk and still have low activity which confirmed that they are indeed cancerous. These small low activity spots complicate my treatment.

Essentially my surgeon doesn't want to focus on one organ with surgery while ignoring another organ and possibly allowing the cancer to grow again.  I cannot take my usual chemotherapy while preparing or recovering from surgery.  It's a complex puzzle that will require some thought to come up with a plan.  My surgeon, my oncologist, and their peers will be meeting to discuss my case and determine a plan of attack.  If they cannot come up with a consensus on what to do, I may be sent for a second opinion at Vanderbilt.  As a scientist, this feels comforting. I like the idea of lots of experts discussing and debating to decide the most effective course of action. Logical and methodical is the norm for us Vulcans.

The good news is that my cancer has responded very well to chemotherapy, and surgery is still an option.  My cancer is still treatable. How exactly they will execute treatment is still being worked out, but I feel that I'm in good hands.  The path ahead will become clear soon and I'll have my calendar ready to mark down all the dates.  Keeping the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment