Saturday, December 31, 2016

End of the Year

Most people start the new year with at least one resolution - lose weight, save money, quit smoking or some other bad habit.  I had a goal.  It was simple, and I only had one.  My goal for 2016 was to end it healthier than I started it.  When you make a goal, you need to have a set of actions to achieve it otherwise you are just engaging in wishful thinking.  My goal was different than most in that I have very little control over the actions necessary to achieve it. My actions include trying to remain positive, praying, eating healthy (-ish), and showing up for chemo.  The rest of the actions are required by my body to follow my will - keep up your immune system, avoid germs, respond to chemotherapy, get enough rest, and limit stress.

I am happy to say that the goal has been met.  I am healthier than I was this time last year. I've completed a year of chemo treatment and survived the side effects.  I managed to get through the January-February cold and flu season without getting sick at all which was a minor miracle considering Sara attends school with 800 mini Petri dishes (or kids).  My only health hiccup was the cold I caught a week before Christmas, but it was short lived and didn't escalate into anything more serious.  My December PET scan indicated no cancer metabolism in my lungs which is great news.  The other masses are much smaller having responded well to the chemo.  I'm thrilled to have my health moving in the right direction.

I cannot take much credit for this year's success.  I had a lot of help from modern medicine, a large prayer team, and the grace of God. The treatment path for 2017 is yet to be determined.  However, with the same team in place I expect to be even healthier at the end of 2017.  

No comments:

Post a Comment