Wednesday, February 2, 2011

De-cluttering - the first 31 days

The first month of de-cluttering has been great. I love the liberating feeling that I get from purging stuff. I have a fondness for organized closets, cabinets and drawers. Although I feel like I’m always fighting my genetic predisposition to keep everything. My parents are both keepers of things; however, neither is a hoarder.  In fact, as far as pack rats go, they are pretty neat and orderly. My desire to have an orderly house overrides my desire to keep everything. In undertaking this project, I hope to keep what matters and only what matters and to make this a part of my everyday thought process.

I managed to purge a total of 135 items from the house.  I have a feeling that this month was easy because I had so much to clear out. I fear that this month represents a superficial purge and a bigger challenge awaits as I dig deeper.  I think I’m going to have some hard decisions about things that are sentimental. 

The items I purged went to consignment, Goodwill or recycling:

Consignment or trade – 60 items including books, kid’s clothing, kid’s shoes, big plastic toys, women’s clothing and shoes.  I’ll find out in a few months how much my purge yields when it sells.

Goodwill – 68 items including toys, kitchen items, home décor, holiday decorations, kids clothing, kids shoes, women’s clothing and shoes.

Recycling - 7 magazines (this is just the tip of the catalog/magazine iceberg)

No comments:

Post a Comment