Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Great Bookshelf Upgrade

It has been a goal of ours for several years to put built in bookshelves in our living room.  We are book people.  We like to read. We like books and like to keep the ones we buy for the most part.  So when we had an unexpected bit of cash to spend on the house, I knew what we would be doing. It took a while to get them installed because the contractor we chose was insanely busy. So basically one year after we told him to go ahead and build them, we got them installed. I have to say it was worth the wait.  They look great and he put a ton of details in them so I'm quite sure we have added value to our house should we decide to sell.  However, I love them so much I don't think I'll want to sell anytime soon.

It took me about a week to sort the books in the house and get them back on the shelf. I am not sure that I have finished putting things the way I want them, but I'm happy enough to post pictures to share.

So here is the project from start to finish.  This is what it used to look like.  The cabinets were not bookshelves but as you can see, we had them packed to the gills.


The removal of books is complete.  They are now in boxes with the knowledge that I will have a lot of sorting to do when the bookshelves arrive.


And the final finished product yet to be filled with books and such.


And here it is filled with stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment